My New Favourite way to Cleanse & Detoxify my Body in just 20 Short Minutes
Picture this, you wake up, scoop out a small tsp of coconut oil onto a spoon and then, wait for it…… you put it in your mouth and start swishing it around. No, this isn’t a joke. I’m being completely serious, and yes I have tried it.
This is oil pulling, where you are pushing and pulling the oil through your teeth. It takes a while to get your head around this practice but trust me, there’s amazing health benefits to oil pulling when it’s practiced regularly. Oil pulling is an old ayurveda process, which is used to help the body to heal and has been practiced for hundreds of years in India.
I have read a lot about oil pulling as it has always fascinated me, but I will be honest, it did take me awhile to bite the bullet and actually try it. There just seems something so strange about swishing oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes. Wait, did I forget the 20 minute part. I’m sorry to say that’s the time it takes to pull the toxins out of your body and to allow the oil to breakdown the plaque. You’re basically removing a whole lot of plaque build-up, bacteria and toxins.
There are thousands of bacteria hanging out in your mouth right now, some of them we like, and some we want to get rid of. The bad bacteria create biofilm, which is what we know as plaque. We want to keep this layer of plaque on our teeth to a minimum, otherwise you’re looking at gum issues, cavities and a very expensive dental bill.
When I finally gave it a go, I learnt very fast the art of distraction. I busied myself by folding laundry, making the bed, emptying the dishwasher, having a shower and then before I knew it 20 minutes were up and I had just started my day with a mini detox.
The benefits seem to be the major selling point with oil pulling. So I’m going to jump straight to them before I loose you with too much talk about spoonfuls of oil. There are so many benefits, so I thought I would mention a few of the key ones to this amazing practice:
- Whiter teeth and improved oral health and gum health
- Removal of bad bacteria
- Helps with infections and liver issues
- Improves arthritic symptoms
- Improves the appearance of skin
- Reduces headaches
Since it is a form of detox, you can see why a lot of the benefits fit under the unhealthy liver picture, which can cause so many referral symptoms like headaches and skin problems.
To get the best results out of oil pulling, it’s recommended to do it every morning before eating or drinking. The reason we swish oil in our mouths is because bacteria and infections can enter the blood through the mouth so it’s a great way to keep this area clean and healthy.
- Place 1-2 tsp of oil in your mouth. (I like coconut oil due to the lauric acid in it which is antimicrobial, but olive oil works just as well)
- Swish it around for 15-20 minutes. (It must take this long to break through the plaque and bacteria but don’t go any longer or else you can start to reabsorb the toxins back into your body)
- When the times up, spit it into a bin, not the sink
- Rinse with water and brush your teeth
I highly recommend this to anyone who want to get the benefits that come from detoxifying the body in only 20 minutes each morning. Even if you only commit to once or twice a week to start with, then see how you feel. Since we are in the silly season with a lot more drinking and eating and a lot less cleansing and healing, this is a great time of year to add a short cleansing practice into your mornings.
- Always only spit it into a bin not the sink as it can build up and eventually block your sink
- Never swallow the oil, or else you will be reabsorbing the toxins
- It will become thicker and milky white the longer its in your mouth
I would love to hear how you find it or from anyone who practices oil pulling on a daily basis.